Re: RC: weight division points

>Most of you have probably read Randy Eiland's message in the recent
>EN by now, discussing the current method of calculating points for
>AERC in weight divisions.

Steph,
I seem to be unable to post to ridecamp suddenly.  Could you pass this
on?

I do not agree with Randy on the "11 per *weight* division" stance.  I
think this would especially damage 100 milers here in the southeast.  We
do well to get 11 total entries in most 100's.  If I go to a ride where
there are 12 in the 100 (but I'm the only lightweight) and there's 60
total riders in the 50 (with 11 LW) I can win the 100 and get 150 points,
or I can win the 50 and get 150 points.  Sure is cheaper, faster and
easier (on me) to ride a fast 50.  I don't think we need to encourage
people to take this route.

I've been to rides where there were only 10 entries and people actually
came up with the cash to get another person to enter, just to make full
points. I got stuck behind one of these add ons at the start of a ride
once. UG!  She was out for a morning stroll before she planned to pull at
12 miles, but she started in the pack!

 I don't like showing up at a ride and having to figure out whether to do
the 50 or the 100, based on whether enough are signed up for the 100. I
can't imagine having to check the rolls and make sure there are enough in
my weight division to make it worth the extra miles and cash not to do
50.   Next thing you know, you'll have a middleweight talking a
heavyweight who's not riding for points into riding as a middleweight to
raise their points.

I don't know if what he have now is perfect, but a number like "11" that
might be logical out west where there are more competitors, may not be
appropriate for the east, where 100's are smaller and harder to come by.
Some how the time factor makes more sense than number of starters.  I
can't imagine how to figure it...% behind winner and then cut off for
full points....so that a Middleweight within an hour of the winner gets
full points, but after 2 more hours go by, it drops down to completion
points or something.  Sounds crazy, but it doesn't make sense for a
Heavyweight to win a ride with 12 entries, and only get 150 points
either.

Angie

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.