Re: RC: Jumping to Conclusions?

On Wed, 12 Jan 2000 09:18:14 EST, "Karen J. Zelinsky" <kjz2@juno.com>
wrote:

>I have heard several times:  "A horse has only so many jumps in his
>lifetime."

I haven't been following this discussion, so my apologies if I'm
repeating what's already been pointed out (or if I'm missing the point
-- something I've been known to do!).

I've also heard it said that "A horse has only so many downhill miles
in his front legs, and you should save those for the rides."  It's
offered as a rationale for not working a horse hard downhill in
training.

I consider that a fallacy.  The object of training and conditioning is
to train the horse to carry himself better and to build up the horse's
body to withstand the demands of competition.  Proper downhill
training is essential.  Without downhill training and conditioning the
horse is not being prepared for downhill competition.

If the horse is properly trained and conditioned to travel downhill,
he will be much more able to tolerate the stresses of downhill
competition and will last far longer than a horse that is not properly
conditioned for these stresses.

--
Joe Long
jlong@mti.net