Re: downhill training

> Well, I for one would like to know how one goes about training one's horse
> to go downhill in a manner that is safe for both horse and rider.

Hi Dede
I don't think is complicated but the horse needs already to be balanced on
the flat.  He also needs to understand that as soon as the trail goes
downhill he should slow up.  Mine slow up automatically as soon as the
gradient changes, particularly on tarmac, as I hate tarmac having fallen
over already with a horse.
Once you get to this point its then just a question of finding your hills
and practising.  Once he's balanced and going downhill at trot slowly and
with his hocks underneath him, almost "bouncing" down then you're virtually
all there.
From that point on its just a question of increasing the gradient.  I
virtually never train fast downhill, I leave that for the actual ride, that
way the decision to go down fast is mine and not my horse's.
To canter or not to canter downhill is a decision for you based on your
competitive instinct and the abilitiy of your horse.  Some horses learn to
canter downhill like they're floating, others aren't built right or have
less natural balance and so you have to stick to fast trot.
Whatever you end up doing bear in mind that fast work downhill is hard on
the joints long-term.
Hope this helps.
Heather & Darrar (who's such a smart-ass he would go downhill in reverse if
I asked him!)
SW France