RC: Biltmore Syn

Barb Peck bpeck@together.net
Barb Peck
bpeck@together.net

Susan Swope-Attardi said:
There's a product on the market that I am using that is pure potassium.
I'll check tonight, but I believe it's called No Salt.

Susan:
I beleive that's 100% potassium Chloride. Morton's Lite
salt is 1/2 sodium Chloride( NaCl ), 1/2 potassium chloride.
(K Cl).

I read a research paper ("Fluid/Electrolyte Therapy", by
R.E. Mandsager DVM, DACVA) that states: " 98% of total body K
is located intracellularly, therefore plasma K levels may
not reflect total body K levels".

My horse's lab report has a narrow range for plasma K
(3.5-4.8mmol/L).
so can I assume numbers from his plasma, if  in this range mean there's enough K in the body's cells? He was 2.6mmol/L, and my
Vet recommended an up in the daily Lite Salt amount.

Nancy Loving estimates that in 1 gal of sweat a horse looses
9g Na/5gK and 18g Cl.

Assuming a horse ingests the minimum daily requirement of 30g
salt (which my guy gets) and it breaks down: 12.8g Na, 2.7g K
and 31g Cl, then based on what Loving says, my horse has depleted
his daily amount after sweating 2 gallons worth.
Then why wouldn't we electrolyte on all (sweaty)training rides?
 It seems you'd have to do that just to stay even with the board.

Although K can be toxic, I've also read (Mineral Requirements
of Domestic Animals (NAP)) that NaCl will counter the toxicity
of too much K Cl.

So, can I draw the conclusion that a horses daily  intake
of salt, should be 1:1 NaCl/KCl ?
I don't know anyone who balances the *daily* salt this way.
(Although my horses, since last year, are getting daily 30g of
Red/Lite/White  3:2:1)

We need Gale Eckert or Nancy Loving......
I'm starting to obsess on this.....
I've GOT to go out to dinner, stop thinking anout this..
but it's raining again here:(

Barb