Re: RC: Learning Lessons (was Death in Ridecamp and Syria)

In a message dated 5/10/00 10:40:09 PM !!!First Boot!!!, katswig@earthlink.net
writes:

<< The lessons that Howard claims to have learned (in his
 original postings) are “Don’t do endurance at all” and “There is a
 God.”  Upon reflection, he may have changed his mind about one or both
 of these things.  Jerry Fruth thought the lesson Howard ought to have
 learned is to not try to do endurance on a non-arab, many people
 thought Howard should have learned not to go so fast, or not to
 race…Angie :), or not to go so fast on an underprepared horse…

 To be honest with you, there wasn’t any real solid information provided
 in Howard’s account of his experiences with Dance Line, to make any
 reasonable determination as to why the horse experienced such severe
 metabolic distress (as in what actually caused his gut to block).  I
 know of a horse that experienced reflux colic when standing in his
 stall, with absolutely no changed in his regular management routine
 which included regular feeding of an oat alfalfa mixed forage, regular
 turn outs, and light riding by a pre-teenage girl.  One can hardly say
 that that horse was over-ridden, or went too fast.   >>

I didn't know if you wanted a response from me or not, but here goes.  BTW,
you write extremely well.  My story wasn't written using scientific data to
explain why my horse crashed.  I tend to try and keep things simple (simple
minds like mine handle life better this way).  Simply put, I believe stress
can cause colic, my first 50 with Dance stressed him out more than he was
able to handle and down he went.  The story is written with emotion, not a
plethora of facts.  Death, and near Death experiences, are emotional ones.

You'd be amazed at how many emails I'm getting from people, just starting
endurance riding, thanking me for my story.  A lot of them assumed that if
they make it through the vet checks, everything is perfectly fine.  This is
not always the case. The sad thing is most of them are afraid to post what
they write to me on RC because of the negativity of so many.

The leap from doing a 25 to a 50 is a great one; I hope you'd agree with me
on that point.  When you do a 50 you'd better have your act together and your
horse has to be ready.  This really is all I was trying to say in my story.

I know a lot of riders don't like my writings and, if I were thin skinned I
would never bother writing them.  But the negative responses don't really
annoy me like they probably should.  I got their attention and that's all I
really wanted.  Cheryl can try and ban me in Arizona; Angie can try and have
me eliminated from AERC; I'm quite amazed at the reaction here.  The fact
that a few sexual innuendo's in my stories result in some labeling me a
danger to children and against the American way of life is a reaction I was
not expecting.  I can only laugh at such nonsense.

Your "lessons learned" was one of the best that I've ever read on ridecamp.
I hope you post more often.  I knew Ivers wouldn't take your criticism well;
it seems to be one of his few weaknesses.  Normally, Tom's writngs are full
of more facts, research and science than I can digest at one sitting.  But
I'm sure the man is a genius and I hope to meet him one day.  Roger's post
was factual; mine was emotional.  I couldn't write a story using only facts
if I tried; like some have said I have trouble differentiating between
reality and fiction.

cya,
Howard