Re: Re: bits

At 04:05 PM 5/12/2000 +0200, you wrote:
>Jessica has some explaining to do as it was on her forum that I heard her
>say that the French was the "mildest snaffle" - see her forum : the article
>"French snaffle vs Dr Bristol"!!!

In comparing the two bits -- yes, the French Link is the mildest...and is
definitely the mildest of the snaffles that are most frequently used.  The
Mullen mouth is milder but then we're now comparing apples and oranges.  It's
not used as much and not recommended as often for dressage work since the
absence of a joint means that when trying to send a cue with one rein, the
whole bit is affected.  Some horses work fine in it, but it doesn't respond as
well as the others.  In the jointed snaffle department, definitely the French
Link is the mildest.

Sue

sbrown@wamedes.com
Tyee Farm