Re: RC: Biltmore Post Race Analysis OMNI

In a message dated 05/09/2000 11:48:20 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
tvanhove@uswest.net writes:

<<
 I wonder if pre-loading probiotics may increase risk of metabolic
 problem?  Reasoning - heat stress and PH changes in the guts causing
 gut flora to die off can be a problem.  Adding to problem is the
 stuff these gut flora release as they die off.   Thus adding a lot of
 extra pro-biotics before the stress begins may increase the bad
 stuff released once the stress begins. Perhaps it would be better to not
 pre-load probiotics (or only in very small amounts to counter possible
 pro-biotic kill from the 'lytes') and only start giving pro-biotics
 once the stressful activitiy has started -to replace whats dying off?

 Teresa

That is an excellent point Teresa.  We don't give pro-biotics until the last
loop of the race (usually at the 35 mile mark if it works out that way) only
lytes prior to.

Phil Rash