RE: Biltmore Post Race Analysis OMNI

<<  I wonder if pre-loading probiotics may increase risk of metabolic
 problem?

Every horse, every situation is different. But at Biltmore
I dosed elecrolytes every hour (10 miles) and 30cc probiotics
at every hold (every 15-20 miles). Khruschev ate and drank
wonderfully all day - his gut and hydration parameters
were A at every check. The only thing that wasn't the
norm with him was the heart rate - both working heart
rate and recovery time were a little higher than
normal - probably due to the heat and humidity - pumping
blood faster to the skin and lungs to lose the heat. ?
His respiration was never elevated though - no
panting. Definitely another 'learning' ride. In retrospect
I probably could have continued on at a more competitive
pace instead of taking the extra time after the 75 mile
hold. But this was our first 100 in such extreme conditions,
and I had some new 'signals' that I didn't quite know
how to interpret. I rode with an under-saddle temp gauge
and he stayed quite low all day - never over 101 skin temp,
generally between 99 and 100 - so his working temps were
quite good. I think the biggest thing I could have done
different was to be more aggressive when cooling during
the holds. I used more electrolytes and probiotics than
ever before - and I think it helped.

Steph