Re: Greener Pastures

Hi.  I saw this previously on ridecamp and wept copious tears upon reading it.  It is incredibly moving in its simplicity of language, especially if you have lost a beloved equine.  Fortunately, both my boys are alive and well, but I watched my best friend's beautiful mare die of colic last year, and I have been there when another friend had to have 2 horses put down (on 2 seperate occasions) and each time the sight of these majestic animals slipping away has made me shudder at the thought of losing my best friends.  When that day comes, as it will, that being the way of the world, this poem will, I hope, help me to cope with the loss.  I would love to know who wrote this poem.  Obviously the author had tremendous insight and empathy with these animals.

Anyway, thanks for sending it again - you are helping keep kleenex in business!!!
-----Original Message-----
From: D&M Arabians <knever@eatel.net>
To: ridecamp@endurance.net <ridecamp@endurance.net>
Date: Wednesday, May 10, 2000 2:18 PM
Subject: RC: Greener Pastures

Since there have been several Loses for my fellow ride campers and their friend i recieved this yesterday and thought about ya'll.

GREENER PASTURES

Don't cry for the horses that life has set free, a million white horses
forever to be.
Don't cry for the horses now in God's hand, as they dance and they prance in
a heavenly band.
They were ours as a gift, but never to keep, as they close their eyes
forever to peacefully sleep.
Their spirits unbound, on silver wings they fly, a million white horses
against the blue sky.
Look up into Heaven, you'll see them above, the horses we lost, the horses
we loved.
Manes and tails flowing, they gallop through time.  They were never yours,
they were never mine.
Don't cry for the horses, they'll be back someday, when our time is gone,
they will show us the way.
Do you hear that soft nicker?  Close to your ear?  Don't cry for the horses,
love the ones that are here.  Author unknown.