Halter defense -- longish

Okay, I've said this before, but I'll say it one more time.  Halter training
DOES NOT have to be bad for your horse.  Your horse can still be your buddy
AND do reasonably well in the show ring.  It all depends on what you want and
the trainer you pick.  I carefully chose a trainer that I knew and trusted,
told him that Magnitude's destiny was to be a performance horse -- preferably
in endurance -- that I wanted her docile and well mannered and to continue to
be a mild mannered horse that my children could handle.

I had taught Magnitude to lead and to lower her head on cue, using some John
Lyons style training.  When she was about eight or nine months old at the
time I took her to Gary Baumgarn's barn.  At her first show, at few weeks
into training, Gary and Magnitude won the weanling class.  She did get the
gate in Scottsdale, it's true and I was told it was because she's wasn't
spirited enough, specifically that she walked quietly on a loose line when
the trainers were instructed to walk their horses on a loose line, and that
she didn't have a dead level topline.

At the next show we went to, just before Magnitude's class began, the other
trainers actually laughed and taunted Gary about the "quarter horse" he was
planning to take into the ring.  Magnitude was standing quietly next to Gary
with her head lowered, ears relaxed and hip cocked.  As they approached the
in-gate, Magnitude's head and tail came up and she danced into the ring.  She
was Jr. Champion at the show.  She and Gary were top 5 at one Regional and
top 10 at another against the big hair boys.

I brought Magnitude home from the show barn in the fall of last year and
turned her out to pasture with my other horses.  She was a little slower than
the other horses in the beginning, but has quickly picked up speed and
stamina.  She remains a very sane, sensible horse and now is completely
accustomed to being loaded, hauled, clipped, and lots of commotion and eats
and drinks no matter where she is or what's happening around her.  She spooks
at virtually nothing and will lead across any kind of surface, like cement, a
tarp or plastic or wood.  These are all things that I think are wonderful for
her future as an endurance horse.  So, while you may not be able to win the
Championship at Regionals or Nationals with your future endurance horse, the
horse could still do well in halter, you could have fun showing the horse,
and still end up with a wonderful, sane companion.  As with all trainers, you
must choose carefully.

Rhonda and Special