Re: RC: Halter defense -- longish

In a message dated 5/9/00 10:42:45 AM Pacific Daylight Time, RhndLev@cs.com
writes:

<< Okay, I've said this before, but I'll say it one more time.  Halter
training
 DOES NOT have to be bad for your horse.  Your horse can still be your buddy
 AND do reasonably well in the show ring. >>

CORRECT halter training is actually good training.  Unfortunately, it is an
almost unheard-of thing in the halter ring today, unless amateur owners are
doing it themselves.  Furthermore, the "pose" expected of the modern Arab
halter horse develops the body upside down, which IS detrimental to future
performance.  So--unless you are willing to "train" in a sane manner (not so
hard) AND show in an older style that IS a more natural pose (and I wish more
people would!!) the horse runs into trouble.  Even the halter trainers who
train sanely still try to follow the posing fads--and for that reason, I
would not even put a future endurance horse in training with the decent ones.

I AM pleased to see more breeder groups becoming disgusted with Class A
competition and starting "alternative" shows with halter classes--at least
three CMK groups across the country are doing this now, and that is a NICE
way to exhibit horses in a manner that is both mentally AND physically
conducive to future athletic endeavors.  ECAHS has had an annual show for a
few years.  CAT has had a futurity for a few years and this year started a
maturity.  The NW CMK group is starting their first show this summer.

Too bad we don't get a "grass roots" effort going at Class A shows (at least
in the ammy classes) to show in a style that befits the breed and does not
cause physical detriment--hard to do when so many amateurs still show like
"big hair wannabes" and have their associated big hairs flouncing around
ringside "obviously" coaching so that the judge knows whose student is
which...

As I said in an earlier post, it is NOT the discipline which is at fault--it
is what has been done to it, and to the horses in it.

Heidi