Re: RC: Re: Re: Grass before a ride

In a message dated 5/2/00 5:12:24 PM Pacific Daylight Time, celiak@pcrs.net
writes:

<< I went to a NATRC ride last weekend and was told by a member of ride
 management "don't let the horse eat" at a P&R stop.  (Being my first ride
 with this group, I was in trouble all day anyway)  I said "Why not?"
 Answer was "It makes the heart rate go up".  My reply was "I think that's a
 dumb rule".  I let my mare eat.   >>

They were probably just making a suggestion based on their personal
experience.  There is no NATRC rule that says you can't let your horse eat at
a P&R stop.  I ride both NATRC and AERC and ALWAYS let my horse eat at every
opportunity.  I do pull his head up when his turn comes for a P&R though so
the pulse taker can hear the heart beat over all that munching :).  Never
been a problem, never been scored off for it either.  Bottom line in any
horse competition -- take care of your horse -- let the rest of the stuff
take care of itself.

Sylvia