Re: RC: RE: Re: Re: Grass before a ride

In a message dated 5/3/00 8:19:44 AM Pacific Daylight Time, KDykes@cpes.com
writes:

<< At the NATRC rides I've been to, they advise you
 "don't let the horse eat at the P&R stop UNTIL you've P&R'd, then eat all
 you want.  It does increase the heart-rate.  Since we're generally only
 standing there for a couple of minutes, it isn't keeping the horse from
 eating much.  Have to admit tho, having all those horses lined up and
 everybody talking in whispers to keep the heart-rate down is a little funny
 after our endurance rides! >>

You really have to know your own horse when it comes to that
eating-before-pulsing bit.  My stallion Abu Ben Surrabu ("Junior" to those
who know him) is like a Hoover vacuum cleaner when it comes to food.  He also
has a heart rate that drops like a rock at checks.  He is totally focused on
food, and is best presented to the pulse taker with a fresh mouthful so that
he can be chewing while the pulse is taken and not fussing trying to reach
for another bite or find more.  But it is true that eating will raise the
pulse of many a few beats and delay their drop to the pulse criterion
somewhat.

The other aspect of grass as the sole roughage source is its water
content--some fast-growing grasses are difficult for getting enough calories
into a horse simply because the horse will only eat so many pounds, and there
is not enough dry matter in those pounds.  So--you have to monitor the horse
and the pasture to make sure he is staying in good weight.  Many will do fine
on pasture--others on specific pastures will need a dry source of roughage to
get enough.  OTOH, the water content is a blessing when eating grass at
rides, where dehydration must also be combatted, and where dry roughages are
best fed soaked to increase the water content.

Heidi