Re: Burro (donkey) question?

I wouldnt worry about riding the little guy yet.  Give him until he is about
3yrs old before you try riding him.  Donkeys are extremely smart and for the
most part exceptionally gentle.  If you ever get a mean one...get rid of it.
There are way too many kind ones in the world to have to worry over a nasty
one.    They seem to learn slower than a horse.  That isnt really true.
They just ask what, why and where more than a horse does.  If you have a
problem leading him somewhere then go from behind (John Lyons style) and
drive it forward.  Pulling just isnt going to work for the most part.  Do
the same type of ground work as you would for a horse.  Desensitization
exercises,  Tarps, trash cans, flags, balloons etc. Manuvering trail course
type obstacles, bathing, clipping, brushing, trimming of feet etc. pretty
much the same as a horse.  Well, bathing can be a bit different.  When I
bathe my jack and squirt him from the front, he tries to start swimming.
Gotta dodge his front feet.  He looks like he is doing a funky spanish walk
<bg>.   Donkeys are easier to reason with than a horse is.  They "will"
think themselves out of a situation.  This sometimes is not such a good
thing! :-)   PATIENCE is the key word when working with a donkey.  They will
mess with your mind if they can.  You will be trying to teach it something
and think it is the stupidest thing on the earth.  It just wont catch on or
will seem to refuse to learn.  Take what it is willing to give you and
praise it and move on to something else.  Come back to it a little later.
When you go to teach it some more the next time, dont be too surprised if he
does it perfectly the first time out.  Donkeys and mules seem to have the
ability to ponder over what transpired during their training sessions.  I
know this sounds weird but its true.  I have had major arguments with a
donkey or a mule and felt like I lost the battle because I had to settle for
much less than I wanted from them.  Then the next time I take them
out...presto!!!!  Look mom, I can do it now!!! ( hehehehe)  Donkeys and
mules DO have a sense of humor.  You will find out how much of one as they
test yours.  Donkeys and mules are really special people, as you will learn.
Enjoy him,  there is probably a good reason he came into your life.
gesa n clovis (I'm a 1/2 ass horse) n sky (ooh those ears!)