Burro (donkey) question?

Anyone out there who has any knowledge of burros, how they think,
training, care of feet, general care, etcetera...

I suppose the Good Lord has a sense of humor. At the Greenway Gallop
when I brought the prayer to close the ride meeting, I prayed for the
safety of all horses and riders. Danny Herlong was there with his mule
and made a point of having me pray especially for his mule. At Million
PInes, I made a point to pray for the safety of riders and "equines" at
the ride.

Yesterday when I got home from work, teaching high school Spanish, my
husband was unloading an 11 month old BURRO(DONKEY) in the front yard.
This was one of the last animals I ever expected my non-equestrian
husband to ever bring home.

Now we have a young, very friendly grey donkey. He's about 36" tall.
Each hoof has been trimmed at a different angle. My granddaughter(five
years old) is ecstatic, because she has a new friend that she can lead
around anywhere she wants to go.

My concerns are that I am totally ignorant in the ways of donkeys. This
one obviously needs worming and a good farrier. The vet and farrier have
been called.

I am at a loss as to where to go beyond the daily maintenance of grass,
hay, water, brushing and shelter.

Are they close enough to horses that the same training techniques will
work? I picture all the cartoons of a donkey kicking out or sitting down
and refusing to do something, or the films of the fat old Jesuit priest
riding one across the rugged Western scenery in old movies. At what age
should I start teaching him to ground drive, or put the old pony saddle
on his back or a bit in his mouth. I know 11 months is way too young for
serious training, but a few minutes a day of basics ...???
I guess I need advice and a place to start.

Lucie Hancock
"mother" hen to 3 arabs and a burro.