American River Ride

Robert Williamson rwill@parks.ca.gov
I am writing this message in response to information that is being circulated about the American River Ride, held this last weekend.  For many years California State Parks has had regulations governing the actions of people who camp overnight.  One of the regulations restricts camping to areas that are designated for that purpose, specifically, campgrounds.  The California Code of Regulations allows certain restricted one-night camping in some day use areas, subject to restrictions placed by the Department.  One of those restrictions is that such camping must be in a self-contained vehicle.

Some of you have said that the intent is to eliminate equestrian events.  There is no truth to that feeling.  We have spent countless years fighting major battles to preserve riding opportunity in this area and to protect the safety of equestrians who come to our park.  I started riding horses when I was five years old and still ride whenever I can.  It is a sport that is also enjoyed by many other members of our staff.  There are options that can be planned, but those options must be presented in a timely manner, and with due consideration to a long-term plan that is in the best interests of all concerned.  Those options can not be done at the last minute, since the participants must be given adequate time to plan.  We can not force someone to discuss alternatives that would be workable, if they continually refuse to talk.

Since 1995 we have been working with the organizers of the American River Ride to get them to comply with department policy on this subject.  We have had no cooperation from the organizers of this event, despite repeated requests.  Our requests started out as friendly, but have escalated to the point where the very future of the event is in jeopardy.  The event organizers were told before last year's event that they must address this issue or enforcement action would take place.  They, once again, ignored our concerns.  The organizers were told well before this year's event that another repetition would result in enforcement action being taken against those people that were in violation of the requirements.  Again, there was no attempt to inform the participants or to make alternative arrangements.  If the officers who contacted the participants seemed overzealous in their actions I am certain that it was due, in part, to having dealt with this issue continually over the past six years.

Our department's intent is not to discriminate against those people who chose to not drive recreational vehicles, but to try to offer opportunities for quality recreational experiences, and balance that with our mandate to preserve its natural resources.  When an event organizer continually refuses to take appropriate steps to follow permit conditions then we are left with no alternative.  The bottom line is that event organizers must work with the department staff to plan event.  Refusing to make appropriate plans results in anger and frustration for both the participants and the park staff.  This anger should be directed where it belongs, with the event organizers.

When planning future events it is extremely important that the event organizers work closely with the park staff, rather than trying to force an idea without discussion.  They would find that we are surprisingly easy to work with and would be, no doubt, pleased with the outcome, as would the event participants.

Robert Williamson
Supervising Ranger
American River District