American River Ride

Patty Jackson jbco@jps.net
After I arrived and discovered that I could not sleep in my truck,
I was told by management that they reserved "Area A" of the
camp ground.  In Area A, it was permissable to sleep in a tent.
In the horse area, it is not permissable to sleep in a tent,
truck, or in anything not self-contained.  Some one please explain
the logic of how tent camping is allowed on one end of the camp
ground, but not in the next.

If it wasn't for a very nice person named Dianna, who offered to
look after my horse, I would not have been able to do this ride.
My trailer was disconnected in the horse camp, and I went to
area A, leaving my horse. Thank you, Dianna, for looking after
her.

One of the rangers told me that the self-contained camping rule
for the horse camp was included in the paperwork as part of the
agreement for using this site.  There is nothing on the entry form
to indicate this.  I have not seen this agreement, so can't say
for sure who is correct.

Still, I do not understand why the difference in one camp site,
compared to the other.

If toilet arrangements were an issue, why couldn't port-a-poties
have been brought in?  Ride management said they wanted to do
that, but the parks people wouldn't let them.  Maybe it would
have been too unsightly for the people living in the fancy
houses up on the hill to look down on?  I believe that there was
room for these across from the camp area, and they could have
been fairly out of site.

I spoke with one person who told me that she was fined $89 for
staying in her camper which was not self-contained.

I wonder how much this park made on camping fees.  I paid $6 just
for a day use pass.  There was a large turn out for this ride,
which equals a lot of camping fees.

Patty Jackson