what to do with cramp/tie-up

After the beach gallop on Thursday, Embers had a slight quivering in his
hindquarters while tied to the trailer, eating hay and drying off before
the ride home.  My first panicked thought was a muscle cramp or tie-up,
but I quickly realized he was shivering from the cool breeze that just
came up, and he quit once I threw a cooler on his back.

The incident made me realize, however, that I don't have a clue what to do
in case of tie-up or cramp when there's not a vet around.  What is the
best course of action?  Walk him around?  Massage?  At what point is it
serious enough that I need to put him in the trailer and head for the
nearest large animal clinic?  I've simply never thought of these things
happening anywhere but at a ride.

Glenda & Lakota
Mobile, AL
AERC # M18819 & H27310