Re: Getting pulled

Having been following this thread, AERC publishing the pulls as well as
the finishers, I had to meditate on it for a while to figure out my own
position. In my opinion I have no quarrel with pulls being published.
I question the validity of the reasons being a simple L, M, or RO
though. Lamenesses can be caused by so many things. There could be a
stone bruise, or an abcess in the hoof, or the horse cut itself on
something, as well as all the pulls, soft tissue injuries, or even early
stages of a possible tie up. Metabolic could mean the horse was just too
tired to go on, as well as something more serious happening.It could
mean many other things as well. RO could mean that the horse was just
"not right" and the rider opted to pull, or it could mean that the rider
was incapable of going on. That has happened to me more than once.
If the pulls are going tobe published, and we want the statictics to
mean something, then it is possible we should ask for clarification.
That, of course would put more paperwork in the hands of already
overworked vets and ride managers. The clarification measurements would
have to be simple and easy to do.
This is all just food for thought.
Lucie Hancock,
rider, ride manager, pulled for all three reasons at various points in
my riding career