Re: Grass before a ride

>dry lot with hay as grass caused a horse's pulse not to drop as
>quickly =>at a vet check

Never heard *that* one.  If there's ever green grass at a vet check, I'm
thrilled to let my horse graze during the check.  The only thing that I
can imagine raising his pulse is the excitement of how good it is.

> I have two horses that I would like to >see =
>a bit more weight on.

My experience is that you can put more weight on horses with good pasture
than anything else.  Trouble is, just like with your friend, sometimes
they pass up the optimal weight.  I have almost no grass now, but used to
lease a big farm with plenty.  I kind of like being in charge of every
bite that goes in their mouth...but would still take some grass if I
could get it I guess.

> She has concerns of taking him to an
>=>endurance ride and having the transition from green grass to dry hay.

I know of one horse that coliced at two rides for that reason
(considering how many horses I've known, that's a pretty low occurance).
The vets felt that it was because she was on good grass at home and then
switched to hay at rides.  Seemed to be a problem just with that horse.
I think they recommended that they dry lot her part of the time and
provide hay just to keep her used to it.  If I were her I'd probably just
wait and see if it's a problem with this particular horse.

Angie

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.