Re: Grass before a ride

----- Original Message -----
From: Katie Ruckel

 At one time two reputable people told me that one should pull one's horse off of grass pasture the week before a ride and put him/her in a dry lot with hay as grass caused a horse's pulse not to drop as quickly at a vet check.
I sure am confused by all this and would like opinions on the permanent pasture question.  I have two horses that I would like to see a bit more weight on.  They are both fit and muscular, but not much covering over the ribs (can't see ribs but sure can feel them)  They look good right now, but I would like to see more weight going into the ride season. Living in Calif, they got moderate exercise all winter, free choice of hay
(mixes of alfalfa, oat and grass), and about 10 to 15 GALLONS a day between them of beetpulp/pellets, dry cob and corn oil.  Worming and teeth all checked. They looked good,but never plump,and now are on green annual grass pasture (in addition to the above).

My friend has her horses on permanent irrigated pasture.  She has a horse that keeps gaining weight, despite miles and miles of riding. He "looks" really fat, but is extremely fit, and does in miles what I do getting all 5 of my horses out.  She has concerns of taking him to an endurance ride and having the transition from green grass to dry hay.
?She can't get him to drop any weight.

Meanwhile, I am scurrying weather wise to put in my own irrigated pasture, about 3600
sq feet, all I can keep watered over the summer.

Any opinions appreciated.
Karen