conditioning over-wt horse

Just have a quick question for everyone:
What is the best way to go about conditioning a very overweight horse?
I found a mare to use for the summer/fall since mine is out-of-commision for
awhile.  She is 5 years old, I started her as a 3 y.o. (put about 50 days on
her under saddle), then took her last year as a 4 y.o. and put another month
on her.  Fancy's owner brought her up to me yesterday and she is just HUGE!
(wide, not tall!!).  Fancy is 1/2 Arab 1/2 Mustang.  Is lots of LSD work the
best fat-burner for her?  She will be in a run at night (I feed all the
horses seperate), and out on pasture during the day (not much grass, mostly
dirt and marsh....yuck!).
I will be feeding her grass hay (that's what she got at home), along with a
low-protein, high fat/Carbo diet.  Any suggestions would be greatly
appreciated!!!  (I've never had to deal with overweight horses
before....mine always seem to stay the perfect weight!)
Thanks!!!!
Betsy
Fancy (that's not fat, it's all muscle baby!)
Majah (you're going to ride HER?)
Angie (new playmate!!!  She's my 1/2 sister??  No way!!)
Babe (just stay away from me and my son!!)
Hakim (mom....what IS that thing?? Can't be related to ME!)