Re: RC: Pull information

In a message dated 4/28/00 6:44:53 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
tvanhove@uswest.net writes:

<< A) horse passed the vet check but rider feels that
 going on may aggravate condition and pulls anyway.

 B) rider knows horse will fail VC, either beforehand
 or from hearing the parameters or watching horse out of
 corner of eye at trot-out.  Mutual decision that horse
 is a lameness or metabolic pull between rider and vet.

 C) horse fails VC.  Rider insists that "old Joe" always
 does this and is fine, and badmouths vet for pulling
 them anyway.  >>

My response to this is that this sort of distinction DOES get into
finger-pointing and putting some sort of "brownie point" system on the
rider's sense of responsibility.  That, IMO, WOULD lead to bad-mouthing, etc.
if published.  As it is, the goal is to figure out WHY horses pull, not WHO
pulled them, and I think that is an important distinction.  The question here
is what causes horses not to get completions--are they lame, metabolic,
overtime, or did the rider end up puking in the bushes and could not
continue?  It does not matter WHO made this judgment call--only that it WAS
MADE.  By hair splitting as to who makes the decision, then we DO get into
patting "Jane" on the back for being responsible and "Sally" gets blacklisted
for arguing with the vet.  And--I thought that was what we wanted to avoid
here.

Another point in hair splitting as to who makes the decision--there is a lot
of difference in vetting style.  Personally, after 19 years and head vetting
250+ rides, I would still only put 8 riders in that last category.  But then
I go out of my way to make the decision a "mutual" thing--even if it takes
the rider half an hour of deliberation to "come around" to my way of thinking
that the horse should not go on.  I know a lot of other vets do this, too, to
try to foster rider responsibility and to encourage riders to communicate
with the vets for the welfare of the horse, instead of acting like
egotistical traffic cops.  OTOH, I have RIDDEN under vets who have the latter
sort of mentality (most of them don't last long in this sport, because
intelligent riders don't like to be treated that way and tend to complain to
management).  I can remember one incident that STILL rankles in which my (now
ex) husband presented a horse after a lengthy hold in the middle of a 100.
The horse took about 3 "off" steps at the trot and then warmed up and was
completely sound.  The ride vet never even laid a hand on the horse and
actually REFUSED to watch him further--simply pronounced "He's tied
up--you're OUT!"  My now-ex and I were BOTH astounded, and tried to get the
vet to at least EXAMINE the horse, to no avail.  I continued on and finished
the 100, and by the next morning when I had opportunity to work the horse up,
I could find nothing wrong.  Took us 6-8 weeks more of here-and-there offness
to find the problem--a strained plantar ligament in the back of the hock.
While an exam might have still precluded this horse continuing on that day, I
would have preferred a work-up and a pull or even to have even had the horse
go one more check and to have FOUND the problem than to go on with a chronic
problem the way he did.  The point in this context, though, is that this vet,
under the "proposed" system, would have surely called this a "C" lameness
pull, whereas a more experienced and competent vet would have delved into the
problem (likely would have sent the horse on since there was NO more lameness
after those three steps, unless we could have found tenderness in that
plantar ligament)--either way, it would have either been a continuation or an
"A" or "B" pull under the above classification.

Nope, I don't want to see this become a referendum on rider attitudes--let's
leave it as a fact-finding attempt to help horses.

Heidi