Re: Log Book...

>I think log books might be a concept worth considering.....though >lots
>of >riders have trouble keeping track of their vet cards for >a day. But
>then, >we all do keep our DL's and SS cards, don't >we?>What is the
penalty in the UK if you lose your records?

I keep all my vet cards, but I'd hate to tote around a book.  Considering
what my vet cards look like at the end of a ride, and the notebooks I use
to try to interview people, or draw, or whatever, a book would have lots
of buckled pages very quickly.  I think this goes back to whether people
like more freedom, or want every action they take legislated.  I prefer
freedom.  I sure don't want paperwork to become mandatory so someone else
can decide what's best for my horse.

As to what I keep in a "logbook".  I have a file.  It has Kaboot's name
on it.  On the outside of the folder I listed each ride he entered, the
distance, mileage for each leg of the race and my miles per hour.  Then
the finishing time and placement.  All that fits on one long line.  The
mileage is the first thing I write so it keeps that column straight so I
can add his miles.

When I get my vet card home and I figure my miles per hour on each leg of
the ride, and write it on the card.  I also check recovery times and
record them.  I like to pull that card out the next year to see what I
can expect.  Steph probably thought I was nuts when I sent her all that
info for Million Pines.  Kaboot holds a nice consistant pace, but I was
amazed when I compared my first Arab, Isaiah's times for the War Eagle
the second year he completed it.  It was something like, First 15 miles,
10 mph.  2nd 10 mile loop, 7.5 mph.  3rd. 15 miles 5 mph. 4th loop, 10
miles, 7.5 mph  He'd done the EXACT same thing the next year...within
about 1 or 2 minutes on each loop!  Very consistantly inconsistant.

The vet card is also nice to be able to go back and see exactly which leg
the vet thought my horse was slightly off on in a ride a year ago should
something crop up again...or whether a blemish is new.  It's funny
though, I have ONE ride card that says he has windpuffs in the rear...and
about 34 that say he doesn't.  One says he has a splint.  None of the
rest do.

Angie

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.