Re: RC: Getting Pulled

In a message dated 4/28/00 8:48:25 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
guest@endurance.net writes:

<< I have seen a lot of riders do their jobs and get pulled occasionally.
We all agree this is part of this sport.  As Heidi said there is a rock,
hole, etc with every horses name on it.  However, I have also seen riders not
do their jobs over and over again.  This is what personally concerns me.  I
do not care (or even wish) to see these later riders names slandered in
public... I would like to see it prevented though. >>

My response to that is that we do not differentiate between which riders "did
right" and which ones were jerks--so there is no stigma attached to the
statistics.  There is no big star next to "Sally's" name that says "Sally
overrode her horse and hassled the ride vets when they pulled her"--nope, she
is just listed as a pull, right along with "Jane" who was a concerned rider
and told the vets when she presented that she was concerned about "Flicka's"
left front, and the vets concurred, and "Jane" said fine, I'm not going on
then!  So why is there any stigma here at all?  In my experience, 90+% of the
riders "make" the choice to pull given the opportunity to do so before the
vet "makes" the call.  (And most vets give them that few minutes of grace to
"make" the right choice, even if the vets are going to pull the horse in any
event.)  So again, where is the stigma?  "Sally" is listed exactly the same
way that all the caring riders are who pull for all the right reasons.

<<In addition isn't it the vets that need the historical information about a
rider and horse... not the general public. >>

No--we all need it.  As I said in an earlier, it would be nice to be able to
look at last year's ride to see what sorts of pulls there were--to prep
properly, etc., or to inquire whether there are particular problems that were
not addressed--before I haul hundreds of miles to attend.  It is also nice as
a concerned rider to get a "sense" of what is going on among horses in
general and to try to avoid the pitfalls through education.  ALL participants
in this sport--vets, managers, crews, etc. as well as riders--benefit from
education.

Heidi