National Parks

In a message dated 4/28/00 1:44:41 PM !!!First Boot!!!, Teddy@runningbear.com
writes:
At 09:39 AM 4/28/2000, hikryrdg wrote:
<< OK Ridecampers, I can't sit back and watch this go on any longer.  If you
 >are of the opinion that kicking (ORV's) out of our National Parks and
National
 >Forests is going to have a positive impact for equestrians, you are dead
 >wrong.  First its the ORV.s, next it auto's, then boats of all kinds, then
 >horses and then hikers, bikers, and bird watchers.  It is my strong belief
 >that there is room out there for all of us to enjoy the great out doors. >>

I agree and have attended meetings where different representatives discuss
"what they want" for their particular group.  Problem is when a hiker doesn't
want equestrian activities because the horses make too many ankle busters on
the walking trails there ends up being a discussion and it becomes
adversarial.

Some places the groups get along pretty well; others they don't agree on
squat.  Getting everyone to get along is almost as difficult as herding cats;
some say it can't be done.  The key is to get involved and try and make
things happen.  Some of us can't help but be pro horse and I think it's the
different horse groups that really need to bond and solidify for us to have
half a chance in keeping what we got and making those areas better.

cya,
Howard