leg wraps

hi all,

i am new to ridecamp & this is my first attempt at posting.  hope i'm doing
this correctly.  <g>

i don't wrap my horse's legs after a ride but i do put ice on them for
20minutes.  to do this i have special iceboots that i bought from sportack
for $75/pair.

http://www.sportack.com:80/sportstore/product.asp?dept%5Fid=65&pf%5Fid=97&ms
cssid=QA4VX5DKWSS12HMK00C7J9XV5SV50NMC

the iceboots are put on similar to shipping boots, with velcro attachments.
of course, one still has to be careful to not put them on too tight or too
loose, but the velcro straps make this pretty simple.  the boots have
gelpacks in them & live in the freezer when they're not in use.  of course,
this means remembering to take ice to the ride, i.e. one more detail to keep
track of.

the boots go on immediately after i've taken the tack is off & my horse has
his face happily in a bran mash.  the ice/cold  serves to keep the swelling
down, but it isn't something that stays on so if the horse has sustained an
injury it could still be detected in the ensuing hours.  (this hasn't
happened to us yet, thankfully, touch wood...)

hope this is of some use.  if anyone has any comments one way or the other
on the use of iceboots, feedback is always welcome.  :)

see you on the trails

-trishka  (& jahal)

<What does wrapping a horse's legs after a workout do? What kind of bandages
are used, polo, track or stable(as labeled in catalogs)? I normally see
bandages used over quilts. Also, while I'm thinking about it, what kind of
things should be done after a long ride (50+) to make the horse feel better. >>