Re: RC: Time to Think

> It is possible/probable that we all will loose trails. We need to support
> the banning of off=road vehicles. We all have see the damage being done, and
> if we ignore what many have done. We will all loose. Please vote to Ban
> off=road vehicles while you can.

I think that voting to "ban" anything is merely negative action and will
not win many friends; it is better to be proactive.  We should always try
to avoid saying "No!" but rather "How about this instead?"

DeSoto National Forest in southern Mississippi has two separate trail
systems -- one for horses/hikers/bikers to share, and one for ORVs.  And
never the twain meet -- different trailheads and camping grounds.  And
it's a terrific system!  Not only do we not have to worry about the horses
drinking from oily puddles, or being spooked by roaring machines coming
around a sharp turn ... we also aren't blamed for the damage they cause to
their trails.  The rangers at DeSoto have a pretty good appreciation of
horse people, because our trails require so much less repair and
maintenance than the ORVs.  But still, we all get to do what we wanna do,
enjoy our joint national resources in a way that pleases us all.  This
isn't necessarily the answer everywhere, but I think it's a good example
of what can be done when the spirit is that of cooperation rather than
conflict.

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.  Do you want
to be banned from the trails?

Glenda & Lakota
Mobile, AL
AERC # M18819 & H27310