Re: RC: problem mare

Hi there
My Mom had a paint who was the same way and even threatened to kick when
a horse would come up on her side and or start to pass. An old time
trainer had a suggestion which we tried and it worked! It is called the
"squeeze" for reasons you shall soon see. We put Poca in between two big
horses so that we were all riding knee to knee (very cozy and more
importantly, no room to kick). We rode like that for about a mile down
the river bottom (you have to do this with three VERY good friends). At
the end of that time Poca decided there was no advantage in being a
witch with a capital "b" and never backed her ears or complained when we
rode side by side or when another horse passed her again. I'm not sure
if it was the fear of being squeezed again, or whether she just decided
it all really wasn't that bad to be neck and neck (or shoulder to
shoulder in this case.) All I know is it worked and took no crops,
yelling, kicking....just a little "hugging.<BG>
Bette
Bette Lamore
Whispering Oaks Arabians, Home of TLA Halynov
http://www.stormnet.com/~woa
I've learned that life is like a roll of toilet paper, the closer it
gets to the end, the faster it goes. Smell the roses!