Re: RC: Re: Bask???

In a message dated 4/24/00 10:11:15 AM Pacific Daylight Time, TOS@htcomp.net
writes:

<< just for comparison.
 Raffles had 124 get and I don't know how many grandget, my system is set to
 stop at 1500, and that was only 55 of his get, so can I estimate 3000
 grandget??  He had 798 occurrences in Bob and Selims database (do we need to
 name it?)

 Bask has 900 get and someone else will have to count grandget, but he only
 had 47 occurrences in the database.

 that would *seem* to have some significance, but without the numbers from a
 'general population' sample, we can't make any conclusions. >>

Becky, you are on the right track here.  There is one factor that will
amplify *Raffles' numbers, and that is the fact that he is back further in
pedigrees occurring multiple times, and *Bask is more recent.  However,
because of the overbreeding of *Bask and the resulting craze to breed "as
much" of him as possible, *Bask DOES show up in an extremely high percentage
of modern horses, according to the random samplers.  I have tried for years
to look more at percentage of pedigree vs. simply the numbers of occurrences
(to offset the difference in generational position) when evaluating a horse
as a positive or a negative influence, and looking at that percentage in
light of the horse's influence on the population at large--and comparing
"successes" (be it high % Top Tens, career miles, or whatever) to "failures"
(horses that start out but never "get there").  Being of a field grunt
mentality rather than a good scientist, I observe a lot of trends but have
not crunched the numbers.  I've shared my observations with the number
crunchers who are interested in specifically Arabian ancestory in the
genetics world, and many think the observations are likely pretty significant
but have yet to do anything formal with them.  Nonetheless, it is often those
observations in the field that lead us to formulate the questions that need
to be asked of the numbers crunchers...

Example of the pedigree percentage "thing"--because *Bask (as just one
example) was a highly promoted horse, almost everyone has heard of him.
Therefore you can take a pedigree such as On A High's, in which *Bask occurs
twice, but far back, and which is well over 90% CMK (with *Bask being the
only non-CMK element), and you can ask an owner how the horse is bred, and
they will say "Oh, he's *Bask bred."  So *Bask is given credit he does not
deserve (or in opposite examples, takes blame he does not deserve) simply
because he is the "famous" name that people recognize.  I was having a
discussion of *Bask with a long-time Davenport breeder at the dressage show
this past weekend, and she makes an excellent point--which is that *Bask
himself was NOT far from the mainstream of classic Arabian type and quality.
What HAS gone wrong with *Bask breeding is that 1) he was bred to literally
any mare that trotted by with her tail in the air and whose owner was willing
to pay the fee, and 2) what was SELECTED to represent *Bask in subsequent
generations was the extreme element of what he produced, and not
representative of *Bask himself at all.  Hence there is a tendency to condemn
*Bask when in reality one must go to the next generation or two, and evaluate
THOSE horses which have gone on to be bred a great deal, and see where the
problem lies.  *Bask obviously had some "ability" (if one wants to call it
that) to sire the extreme that was desired by the show world of the moment,
but he also had offspring much closer to the mainstream.  As I go back and
re-evaluate *Bask pedigrees and come down another generation or two, I find
(no big surprise here) that the endurance horses who do well with any
significant *Bask breeding are those who are descended from get who DID
retain more of the mainstream type.  So--do I personally consider *Bask to be
a red flag in the pedigree?  Yes, to a certain degree, simply because of how
he has been used.  But one must look honestly at that red flag and track that
useage (as really, one must with ANY ancestor) to see what has been done in
individual cases.  Once again, one has to look at pedigree research in terms
of preservation of traits (and genes that control those traits) rather than
simply a study of names in pedigrees.  I see (and Becky, I'm sure you do,
too) preservation breeding utterly warped by people who don't understand this
concept, and who are so proud of their "straight" this or "pure" that, and
sure, the "purity" is there on paper, but the traits (and genes) that made
the ancestors great have long since been lost from the program!  The same is
true with "famous" ancestors like *Bask where the names have been retained in
the pedigrees but the traits that made those ancestors worthy of promotion
have not been bred on.

Heidi