story (long)

Well it is that time of year again. The sun is shining and the mosquitos
way up here in the not so frozen north are hungry:-)
I must first tell you that I was away all winter cooking in the camps
for the oil rigs. Yup it was a real test of endurace that cooking and
cleaning stuff but the pay is good.
I usually ride all winter and love the snow.
There I was at my first camp telling the head cook (there is 2 of us)
that I specialize in carrots and apples. My job is salads and prep.:-D
He did turn to me at one point and say "You know most people who work as
cooks know how to cook":-DDDDDD
I did learn how to cook but don't tell anyone. I have a reputation to
uphold(VBG)
Back to my ride story.
We purchased a (not cheap) arab gelding last spring from a good breeder.
He had just barely turned 4 and was real green. (not in color of course
he is a grey) I had planned to start him over the winter in deep fluffy
snow that makes them tired and offers soft landings when needed.
I was gone all winter and he got to just be a horse. I climbed on him
this spring and he was wonderful. He didn't move while I saddled him ,
took the bit like a pro and stood beside the picnic table for me to
mount as if he had done it a million times.
I was pleased. We headed out of the yard at a nice controlled walk and I
was thinking sheesh he is going to be easy. I was beginning to wonder if
he really was an arab.
The next second he proved he was an arab and a very athletic arab. He
dropped his shoulder and spun real fast.
I stayed on  then we had to have a few discussions. He said right and I
said left. He said I'll just go backwards and we backed all the way to
the neighbours which is quite aways. We spun this way and that and
finally he said oh you want to go forward well why didn't you say so.
Off at a trot snorting and looking for an excuse to spook. We circled
the field a few times and then headed out to the trails. We had a bit of
the I can't leave my buddies, I REALLY CANNOT LEAVE MY BUDDIES attitude
but finally got out of sight. He was wonderful once away from home only
tryng to go home a couple times. I love riding a young horse. He wasn't
quite sure if his butt is really part of his front end and we fishtailed
down the trails. He tripped a couple times going over logs but handled
everything quite well for a green guy. He really had a hard time
figuring out the hills.
Where am I supposed to put all these feet anyway??? He tosses his head ,
licks his lips and merrily carries on his way.
He questions but doesn't insist he is going to have his own way.
We have a 14 year old gelding out of the same bloodline who has never
let us down . If Beau turns out as good I will be very pleased.
Happy Trails
Paddi