Breeding:

Hi guys:
Boy we must be really bored if we are down to the breeding thing again!
Take a moment and think about what you are saying here.
I don't own a brand new home ($100,for more) because I can't afford
one----but I can afford to buy a older but in good shape one($50,000).
Does that mean I can't or
should not buy a home at all. I also cannot afford  to buy a brand
spanking new car
but I can afford to buy a fairly well kept used one(same with the truck
and trailer).
Why do we get on this issue of the"breeders " wanting more than we want
to pay.
If there is a "big name" endurance person out there who wants to spend
the "big bucks"
they will.  At this point they are far and few between. Valerie Kanavy
has the big bucks now
but did she when she first started in this business. I know that she
bought "Cash"(Pierez)
for $500.00 out of a back yard. She liked what she saw (used but
unusually tempered horse) and bought him. The seller did not raise the
price because they saw a big name trainer coming.
    I also think that unlike a home or a car (where you should know what
you are getting)
we don't always have that guarantee and that is what makes us look for a
mature horse in growth. We know what that horse will  be able to do
conformation wise. Mind wise we will work with some of the weirdist
personalities horses have if it is what makes them win. There will alway
be a market for "used horses as long as they live to be in their 20's or
30's. I am sorry that the "breeders" cannot get at least what they ask
for,though as
these horses hopefully will have good conformation,good growth, good
ground manners, and personality.
Just thoughts (no flames necessary)
Paid $350 for my 1/2 Arab mare 23 years ago (at age 5)
Paid $450 for my Arab gelding 11 years ago (at age 5)
I realize the ecconomy and prices have gone up and am willing to
pay for what I get if I am happy with what I see or feel is in the horse.
Pat and Razzel in Kansas