Re: RC: Breeding shed manners

Well, Lif
It is late and I'm not tired and I am not a Leno fan so here goes:
Although I ask for a day's notice when shipping, it rarely happens. We
were a 45 min drive from the Fedex office and got a call about an hour
and a half before the Fedex deadline for East Coast shipping that the
mare had a follicle about to drop and we needed to get the semen out
that day!!!!
Mark ran to get Hal while I built the bag (Artificial Vagina for those
of you not in the AI business--- have to insert plastic liner, fill with
water a certain temp and pressure (Halynov is VERY picky---likes it
yellowlined and very tight--- we always say he has a thing for hot
virgins) so I lubricate the bag and dash to the paddock where we quickly
wash Hal--- now mind you, we only had 45 minutes to get Hal, prepare
everything, wash him, collect him, mix the semen with antibiotic
extender and put into the equitainer before madly dashing to Fedex!!!
On 128 acres with 14 broodmares in pasture--do you think even one of
them was batting her eyes at the fence line??? Nor was there time to
trudge through the pasture trying to see if anyone wanted to get lucky
that day. Soooooo... I had a plan. Hal had been shown halter---he loved
the sound of hoots and hollers at those things. I figured if I could get
him excited enough, he might mount Gertie (out phantom) sooooo as Mark
led him toward the phantom (and we had only about 15 min left) I hooted
and yelled "Big Stud!! Good Boy!! Who!! Whoo!!! (I'm sure if the vice
squad had been in ear shot that day I would have had some heavy
explaining to do but hey--I was on a timeline!) It worked; I got him to
mount and then Mark did some fancy handiwork (with the emphasis on HAND)
while I blew in Hal's nostril. Well, it worked!! I later called the
owner of the mare and told her I felt I was entitled to a bonus in light
of the short notice and the fact that I had gone over and beyond what
stallion handlers---er--owners were required to do. Since that time, we
never bother with a tease mare and Hal and I have continued our
relationship. I could make a comment about blowing-- but then I'd really
get myself in trouble and I try to stay away from politics!
Oh well. Now aren't you sorry you asked?
Bette
Bette Lamore
Whispering Oaks Arabians, Home of TLA Halynov
http://www.stormnet.com/~woa
I've learned that life is like a roll of toilet paper, the closer it
gets to the end, the faster it goes. Smell the roses!