Re: Breeding shed manners

Michelle---I agree with you 100%---and the natural way is the way it is done
at Provin's Promises.  Until maturity (and especially proximity of cycling
mares) hit hard--I had five stallions, ages two through seven running in the
same pasture.   Now, the seven-year-old is running with a small band of
mares, and when they foal he will be running with his mares AND foals.   His
daddy lived this way, too.   This same seven-year-old---when brought to
breed his FIRST mare--talked to her first, knew instantly that she was not
ready, and backed off.   He also knew which end to breed--none of this
mounting their heads the first time business.    I have a photo of him as a
foal--playing with his daddy--reared up and pounding his little feet on
daddy's back--and daddy didn't  mind.   He is also a very happy horse and
quiet to be around.   I think it HAS to make a difference!!!   Thank you for
saying it so well.   Claudia

-----