Re: RC: Odd Symptoms----Update and Panacur again

>Just wanted to thank everyone who sent me their ideas and thoughts last week
>about my horse's health issues, (low energy and slow shedding out). I went
>thru my worming records and found I had missed a worming that was due the
>first of Mar. I immediately gave her a dose of ivermectin. She then was
>checked by my vet and had blood (and more blood) and feces taken for tests.
>The CBC was all normal except a slightly low red blood cell count. The
>thyroid was in the normal range at the lower end. The selenium test isn't
>back yet. We discussed feed and worming. She is going to be treated for
>tapes next, then encysted small strongyles as neither of these are testable
>by fecal checks. I've increased her grain, added some beet pulp and a small
>amount of alfalfa cubes in a mush to her daily grain. Oh, also bought some
>Lixitonic  to boost her iron intake. Her energy level has increased
>noticeably and she's beginning to shed more. All along she's been in good
>weight on free choice timothy and a small quantity of grain with ABC Plus as
>a supplement. I've not been particularly happy with my hay but since the
>barn went up so late in the year I had to pay thru the nose for anything I
>could find. This spring I will find a good local mixed grass/clover hay
>hopefully. I suspect that even though she hadn't lost hardly any weight with
>gradually increasing work I wasn't providing sufficient energy and/or
>nutrition.She's basicly an easy keeper and I was fooled by her round body
>type. Of course the worms are another possibility.
> My vet says the available Panacur Power Pak is actually five double dose
>treatments. I don't recall anyone talking about the
>5 x Panacur treatment being in double doses. Can someone tell me more about
>this??
>
>Bonnie Snodgrass

I thought the Power Pac was a triple dose rather than a double dose -- but
whatever:  one PowerPac syringe a day for five days.  We got on to it when
a hard-keeper gelding had strongyl eggs (but no other worms or eggs) in a
fecal s week after getting a tube of ivermectin.  After treatment that
gelding shed his wirey winter coat and started gaining weight, and the
other older gelding (18) we treated shed his wirey coat and started giving
little bucks on the longe line like a frisky youngster (he's an easy keeper
so no noticable change in weight).  I'm heading off to the vet's now to
pick up a few more pacs for my other older horses (who likely have the most
infestation) and hard keepers.

Lynn Kinsky (Santa Ynez, CA)
http://www.silcom.com/~lkinsky