Re: RC: RE: RE: RE: Karahty (and Bloodlines in Arabs)

In a message dated 4/20/00 5:53:19 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
kathy_mayeda@atce.com writes:

<< And my horses are not the ideal body type for
 endurance because of their halter breeding (weak loins) - BUT THEY STILL
 HAVE THOSE SAME ANCESTORS! >>

One has to look at the body type of those ancestors and see if their type has
been bred on, or if subsequent breeders have selected horses that are not
representative of those ancestors.  Being familiar with a great many of the
horses in the list, I can tell you that many of them were quite
representative of good endurance type.  As a breeder, one must be cognizant
of breeding on specific traits possessed by the ancestors one is using,
rather than simply carrying on names in pedigrees.  If one selects offspring
that are atypical of the majority of the family, then the family is changed.
 It is, indeed, sad the way that the Arabian breed has been altered in far
too many cases to try to fit fads or "market trends" instead of bred on for
good using traits.

Heidi