Re: RC: Re: The problem with sponging

Last year, I learned a big lesson at the Oakland Hills Ride in Oakland,
California.
    I was crewing for 3 people and when the first guy came in, I went (bucket
in hand) to get some water for his horse.  Well, there was this horse,
standing at the trough.....TANKING up on water.....his owner cooed(sp?)
"gooooood boy".....but I was thinking, "c'mon already....".......well, after
about 1 minute of the horse tanking up.....I was getting just a little
impatient ( I had never crewed for this guy....I didn't want him to think I
was a bad crew person.....of course, now I know I should have had the water
ready when he came in to camp.....duh....but that's beside the point <g>) so
I went to the opposite end of the trough and filled my little bucket.  Of
course, the horse immediately stopped drinking when I did this.  All happy
that I had my water, I turned and headed towards my team.  Then, from behind
me, I hear the TANKER'S owner go, "you wanna know what is REALLY rude...(with
an emphasis on "really" and the whole thing defenetely loud enough)...when
people dunk in the trough when a horse is drinking"....
ohhhh...I felt sooooo bad.  But I was too embarrassed to say anything so I
just rushed back towards my friends thirsty little mare.
Well, I learned my lesson, big time......I'll never pull that one again.
And, if the owner of that horse is on RC, I'm soooooooooo sorry.... :-)
Renee