Re: RC: my last words

In a message dated 04/10/2000 9:23:55 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
tvanhove@uswest.net writes:

<< RM forum column in the same issue.
 -basically I feel that the specific wording implies that
 if you didn't have an accident your ride was safe, but if
 there was an accident you the RM screwed up, >>

Please re-read the Ride Mangers' Forum in the April issue.  The exact wording
is "..responsibility for preventing accidents cannot (my emphasis) be placed
entirely on the ride management. Riders, spectators and parents must also
bear their share of responsibility ..."  In other words, everyone has some
contirbution to make in making a ride a safe experience.  Parents need to
watch that their children do not wander onto the finish line as horses are
racing. Spectators need to be out of the race course.  Dogs don't belong
there at all. And while ride management can do some things to help eliminate
the possibility of accidents, it is "the competitor (who) is totally
responsible for self and mount before, during and after an endurance ride"
(AERC rules). Now just where did the idea that in my article I placed all the
blame (responsibility) on RMs come from?

Barbara