Re: RC: To Look or Not?

Let 'em look.  Today was really funny.  Phoenix was in the
backyard grazing and he noticed something different...a hand
cart laying in his yard!!!  The fear of the handcart won out
-- he wouldn't come to me for carrots.  About 45 minutes
later, he came upon it again as he was grazing.  He
gradually snuck up on it.  No kidding...I was sitting there
watching him.  He did his best to make sure it didn't hear
him coming.  Lots of little baby steps with big pauses in
between.  He finally got up to it sniffed it and walked
away.  He found out all by himself that it wasn't going to
eat him.  Now, had I been on him, we would've made it closer
alot faster.  But, he did it naturally and that took
awhile.  Made me realize that when I let him look, smell and
taste he is a happier horse.  Some horses never need to look
-- others must look 4 or 5 times.  But, I also agree when
I'm on him, I don't look at the thing he is afraid of.
Makes it less scary for him.  I learned that little lesson
from Pat Parelli..and it really does work.
Diane