funny with the bit

Hi ridecampers.....I should be in school right now....but I don't feel
well....so, I'm writing to RC instead.
Okay, here's the situation:
I have a 6 year old mare.  I ride her with a regular ol' 5" dee ring snaffle
bit.  And it is the perfect bit when I ride her....but when I go to put it in
her mouth, she acts a little strange.  She takes the bit very easily....but
then she drops her head down and opens her mouth and the bit sort of hangs
there.  I thought that it was too loose so I tightened it..but then, when she
held it in her mouth, it was too tight.  So, I put it back on the original
settings.  When it is on the original settings, and she holds it in her
mouth, like a good horse should, it appears to be "lookin' good"...but then
she opens her mouth again and it falls down.....I'm afraid her tongue is
going to go over the bit.
And when I ride her, and we are just walking along, relaxing, she does it
again.  So I kind of give a little tug...and that usually makes her take the
bit in her mouth again.  But sometimes she just keeps walking with her neck
streched out and her mouth open and the bit hanging there.
What could this be?  Could she have a problem with her teeth?  Should I try
another bit?
thanks
-Renee
and Sere (shhh..I'm just tricking her)