Re: RC: stocking up

In a message dated 4/6/00 4:57:26 PM Mountain Daylight Time, Tivers@aol.com
writes:

> Will this go away as she gets in better shape (she's been in good condition
>   before, but we've just started after a 1.5 year layoff)?  Is this
something
>   that will hurt at pre-ride vet checks?  Should I be doing anything about
it?

>   Thanks for info,
>   Marlene >>
>

>  This is probably due to a lack of vascular elasticity--leaky valves. What
we

>  do with raehorses is cut bak the daily mileage for a couple of weeks, then
>  sneak back up through the old barrier. This will eventually not be a
problem,

>  but you don't want to get filling that is so constant that the tissues
>  stretch and you end up with longterm boggy-looking ankles.
>
>  ti

I would add to this that the heart's condition will affect this. The movement
the horse is getting in pasture helps with a "soft tissue" pumping action. As
the heart gets better conditioned it's ability to pump will improve. That's
if she does move!
The cool down and warm up are really important keeping the soft tissue
pumping the lymphatic's.

jim pascucci
Advanced Certified Rolfer
www.equisearch.com/ibt