RC: vans

My husband and I have been using Ford vans to haul horses, camp, travel, go
skiing, haul boats, move kids to and from college, sag wagon for Mike's
Race Across America (bicycle) adventure and just about anything else you
can think of including taking our mothers on vacations.  We are on our
third van. They have been reliable, comfy and easy to drive.  The 1980 was
an in-line 6 with a standard transmission. Had the same cubic inches as a
small V8 but much better gas milage.  Was a bit under powered hauling on
hills but I did do a lot of horse traveling and camping in it. Sold it in
94 with 280,000 miles on it and it used no oil.  Then bought a used 1992
Ford E250 5.8 gas engine van, automatic trans and  tow package. It hauls
two and three horses with no problem. Gas milage was about 12 mpg
nonhauling and about 10 hauling.  Very comfortable and easy to drive. Has 4
captains chairs in it and two removable bunks in the back. It has 130,000
miles on it and runs great. It's for sale. We just bought a new van from a
company called Sportsmobile.  They have a great web site, sportsmobile.com.
We bought ours in Clovis CA (there are three locations in the country). If
you talk to Evan at the Clovis site he can tell you just about everything
you'd want to know about hauling with vans, van 4X4s and conversions,
winching with them, off roading, everything. He knows all the engines and
models and their performance over the years. The new van we have is a Ford
E350 7.3 deisel powerstroke 4X4. It will go to it's first ride, The Deadman
Enduro, this weekend.  So, Sally, good luck and keep up your search for the
perfect van. In our opinion, it's out there.  Jane and Mike Wilson
Saratoga CA