Re: pace in endurance

Hi April,

For at least the first few rides, why not use the pace both you and your
horse are experienced with.  Just pretend you're on a competitive ride but
without all of the restrictions as to sponging and getting off on hills.
Best of all, NO spot checks!!   (Don't forget that you don't have to wait
the 10 minutes for p/r check if your horse recovers sooner :)

Remember to ride your own ride.  If you're used to staying with the group
as in competitive, it's easy to get caught up in someone else's game plan.
I've never understood why some folks think endurance automatically means
RACING!

I much prefer endurance to competitive because I think endurance gives you
more freedom to take care of your horse (cooling with sponging, getting off
on steep trails, more time for completion, etc).

I'm sure your confidence will grow with a couple endurance rides under your
belt and you can then reassess your abilities and goals.

I'm in NE Iowa, on the other side of the Mighty Miss.  I'm planning on
attending the Lincoln Trails ride on Apr 22nd.  Taking my gelding on his
first 50.  Competitive pacing is my strategy.  Will you be there?  If so,
look me up.  I'll be the tall woman with one horse and two boys.  The
oldest is fifteen, so you could also spot me by the display of extra food
coolers, potato chips, sodas........

Sally Hafkemeyer
hafke7@netins.net

: guest@endurance.net
> To: ridecamp@endurance.net
> Subject: RC:  pace in endurance
> Date: April 03, 2000 9:51 PM
>
> April Hammer steele@mwonline.net
> I have competed in competetive distance events for the past 3 years,
completing several 50s.  My horse maintains well, and when shoed correctly
is sound.  My question is: When I begin to enter endurance events, how do I
choose a pace?  I condition mostly at a trot with intervals of loping, but
not for long periods of time. When I see the completion times in endurance
events, I am often amazed. Am I just not trusting my horse?  Should I ask
for a little more?  I know he's ready for more, but I seem to be the one
holdng us back.  Help!!!  I do have a heart monitor and understand cardiac
recovery. I also understand that I need to watch him metabolically and make
sure he's eating.  Are there any other clues, on the trail, to warn me that
I may be pushing too hard?  Thanks for the advice.  April ps. I live in
central Illinois, so trail is not too hilly or tough (compared to
Mountains)