Fit horses

Hi Ridecampers,

       After 10+ years in endurance I have come to the conclusion that a
horse should already be in condition to go as fast as he/she can for any ride
entered.  In other words, I don't think rides should be used to condition a
horse--you can volunteer to ride point or drag if you want the experience of
x miles.  I have seen way too many horses treated or lamed because of too
many miles or too much speed or both for the level of condition.  These words
may seem hard but to paraphrase Alexander Pope, "experience keeps a dear
school but an endurance rider will learn in no other".

Judy Etheridge