Re: Who Rides with Broken Ribs

Nancy:  I re-separated four ribs last December, and it was 4-5 weeks
before I felt comfortable in the saddle, especially at the trot.
Walking and loping were no problems, but trotting had my teeth on edge
right quickly.  I would say that 6-8 weeks for broken ribs would be
about right for you to feel ok in the saddle.

As for the fall, I was mounting my 4-year old and he broke loose just as
I swung my leg over the saddle.  I fell backwards and landed on my butt
first, then the ribs, then the back of the head.  Now, the butt is
well-padded, ~S~, the head was covered by ye olde helmet, but them
ribs.....nothing between them and the ground but my shirt.  They were
originally broken about 10 years ago (also a horse fall).  When it is
cold and damp, those four ribs ache like crazy.  Of course, they are
prone to break easily or separate again with any hard bump or fall.

Gretchen Patterson
Marshall, TX
http://www.horsemassage.com