Re: bone size vs bone density/also pictures

Subject: RC: bone size vs bone density/also pictures

> jill matyac hughescreek@yahoo.com
> i am trying to convert my boyfriend to the advantages
> of arabians in long distance riding. he believes that
> their legs are too thin and could easily twist and
> injure them. he is looking at some appys who are very
> big boned but also pretty big bodied. the standard i have
> heard is 8" cannon circumference per 15h 1000# horse.
> i realize this is nothing to set in stone. what i am w
> wondering is at what point is bigger not necessarily
> better? i am under the belief that arabs have a tendancy
> to have denser bones. considering the amount of pressure
> that may be exuded on a 1200# horse with bigger bones
> as opposed to a 900# arab with average bone size who
> do you think would be less likely to develop stress related
> injuries

GREAT question-I was just discussing this with a friend yesterday.
Yes, how important is bone size?.  Currently big-boned Arabs are
popular.  I realize a lot of other factors are involved, but has anyone
done studies on bone size/density?.  As far as the original desert Arab of
several hundred years ago; what was size/bone size?.  Was this the ideal for
the
environment-have we improved the breed by increasing size and bone d
diameter, or is it necessary for the type of riding endurance requires?

Currently owning the gamut of big-boned arab crosses to med-boned Arabs same
size, I can draw no conclusions.......soundest animal I have ever known was
an
Arab/cross pony that rope walked in back, crooked back legs.

karen