re: questions with foals

Thanks all for the replies-I wanted to throw this out to vets and endurance-horse breeders.

I don't take anything at face value-temper it with a lot of advice and common sense.

As far as the baby carrying weight-I am going to keep handling her, and at some point this summer switch from cinching up a bareback pad to a light saddle with flopping stirrups-just for 5 to 10 minutes.  I did this with the unbroke 3-year old last summer, even though she is not carrying weight yet.  I am not in any hurry with these girls to get ridden-but want them used to saddles cinched up and riders slipping on and off their back.(of course not the yearling yet)

I'm more concerned with good, but not excessive nutrition, and taking them a lot of places right now.  Sunday we did a short ride with two kids on bikes and a husband on a
squeaky bike riding back and forth.  With my daughters horse, I did the first 3 months after the trainer doing mostly trail trimming-I think the babies can be involved in some of this and the 4 year old can certainly carry the tools!

Karen