RC: questions with foals....

<<One is the Arab/QH filly that is 10 mos old...the vet suggested that I
pony her on rides with a saddle--to get her used to carrying weight and
especially, to strengthen her back.  What do you all think of this?>>

Say what?!
The growth plates in the vertebrae, if I remember my Dr. Deb, don't
close until the animal is 5 to 7 -- the last bones of the horse to close
up shop. Putting any kind of weight or compression on them at this
tender age sounds very risky.
Also, I question the logic of such a recommendation, since the back
muscles themselves aren't what strengthen the back -- it's the rectus
abdominus muscles along the belly. You want to engage those muscles and
lift the back. This can be done with back lifts, and walking/trotting
over ground poles and caveletti.
If you want to give the youngster more organized exercise, you might
hook her up to a weighted sled and drive her, adding weights
progressively. Or pony her over varying terrain.
While it is true that the most effective conditioning programs are
progressive, I'd be fairly conservative with a weanling and careful not
to physically or mentally overface her.
As for the four-year-old continuing to grow, she probably will --
especially when you start to condition her. Fitness will do that to
almost any horse.
Bobbie