Re: swinging reins

My guess is that she is just reacting to the new feel of the reins.  You
don't necessarily need to do anything.  With a few hours of riding she will
adjust to the new feel and stop fussing.  The same with an exaggerated head
carriage.  If it is not comfortable and you don't force her to lower her
head excessively, she will come to her natural, comfortable head carriage.

Because reins with snaps can easily be unsnapped and become a lead rope at
trot out time, they are the only way to go.  If you also use either of the
common endurance halter bridle combinations, you can also easily remove the
bit while walking the last 1/8 or 1/4 mile into a check.  This gives a horse
one more cue to relax and get the heart rate down.

My preference is the type of halter that uses the bit hangers, Wendy likes
the kind with the separate headstall.  We both think the kind with snaps for
the bit on the halter is a bad deal as the snaps get caught on hay bags and
other stuff.

Ed and Wendy Hauser
1140 37th St.
Hudson, WI 54016