Re: safe loading in a slant load

In a message dated 3/27/00 3:39:51 PM Pacific Standard Time,
mountss@usfca.edu writes:

<<  Is there any alternative to tying him,
 stepping out of the trailer, going over to get that "huge" door, and then
 closing it?  Seems like that gives the rear horse a long time to think
 about "setting back" before I get him closed in. >>

Provided you have some sort of access to his head, load him without getting
in, shut AND LATCH the big door, and then go around to the side and tie him
in from the outside.  (Only time we have trouble with this is when we are
hauling a trailerload of stallions who would like to eat each other for lunch
over the dividers--but we generally do not haul multiple stallions by
ourselves--so the spare person can HOLD the rope from the outside while the
loader closes the divider and/or door.  I also usually load my most reliable
horse last, as that IS the trickiest spot...)

Heidi